This is a recipe for upside-down cake - NOT PINEAPPLE!! (I am using peaches and raspberries, as that is what I have). It is adapted from a recipe in BBC GOOD FOOD.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butterJuice of half a lemon2 tbsp brown sugarFruit of choice!!110g/4oz unsalted butter
- 110g/4oz soft brown sugar
- 110g/4oz self-raising flour
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- pinch ground cardamom
- pinch ground cinnamon
- (Optional:icing sugar, for dusting)
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Gently melt the butter in a small oven-proof, non-stick frying pan over a low heat. Add the lemon juice and sugar and stir.
- Add the fruit (raspberries, peaches) and cook for 3-4 minutes, to caramelise.
- To make the sponge, blend the butter and sugar together in a food processor until pale and fluffy. Add the flour, eggs, egg yolk, cardamom and cinnamon and pulse again to combine.
- Pour the sponge mixture on top of the peaches and raspberries in the pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and turn out onto a serving plate. ( Dust generously with icing sugar if using) .